Thursday, February 4, 2016

NEXUS NB310MF: Region Free DVD/Blu-Ray Player!

Being bilingual and living overseas does provide a little challenge as a movie addict, when it comes to region coding on DVDs & Blu-Ray discs. Yes, cry me a river with your first world problems! What I'm getting at is that one has a huge selection of content to buy from North American releases as well as, in my case German releases, with movies from all over the world. The solution to seamless playback of DVDs was to locate a region free player. Blu-Ray has been a bigger challenge as I had not been able to locate one for a reasonable price. I solved this by buying a German spec (Region B) Panasonic Blu-Ray player and using my Sony PS3 to handle U.S. (Region A) discs, still cheaper than buying a region free Blu-Ray at the time, since I already had the PS3.

 

Now the problem has resurfaced since I added a second TV for the bedroom. The idea of buying two region specific players did not sound great. Fortunately I got a tip that my local Army & Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) Exchange store was getting a NEXUS Blu-ray player. NEXUS is a relatively new brand having had a presence in the U.S. Military market for just about two years. Designed and engineered in South Korea, made in China and thus most of these fledgling brands build features into their devices not found with the household name products. After some research I had my intuition confirmed that the NEXUS NBD310MF is indeed all region DVD straight from the factory and switchable for Blu-Ray. What I don't know is if there's a limit on how many times the Blu-Ray region can be reset; but, at $69.00 it's a small financial risk. Should I be able to get more info in this regard I'll update this post in the future.

 

Please find below pictures of the unboxing of the NEXUS NBD310MF. Nothing spectacular from a visual design aspect, layout of buttons/controls on the NBD310MF and supplied remote is straightforward and user friendly. The instructions on how to switch regions follows as well. Thanks AAFES & NEXUS, Happy Viewing!

 

Notice : When changing region code, you must do so without Blu-Ray disc in the machine. Region breakdown for NEXUS is 1=(A), 2=(B) or 4=(C)

 

Step 1. Go into the general setting

 

Step 2. Enter Factory password 8 5 2 0 on main menu window

 

Step 3. Unit ships by default region 1 (A for North America), change to the region to 2 (B for Europe) or 4 (C for Asia)

 

Step 4. Exit setup menu

 

Step 5. Rebooting

DONE!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment